Today, I met with a group of about 15 pastors from around the North Hills area. The topic of our conversation for the meeting was to be "empowering members as servants" and I was supposed to be the person that was bringing the content for the day.
Instead, I chose to take a risk and in a very specific way asked each person to be willing to offer some of their own experiences as pastors and leaders who have sought to raise up volunteers and servants in their own ministries.
The result was a very energized and insightful exchange that literally caused the 90 minute time slot to race by.
I find this to be true in most every venue in which I participate. When people are asked to be involved, to add their input, to share their perspective, the corporate wisdom is much more valuable and insightful than one person's own individual perspective. Not only do folks stay engaged, they tend to add dimensions of insight that others had not even thought of because of their unique perspective and experiences.
I'm not sure what it takes for us to be set free from having to have "all the answers," however the longer I'm privileged to be in ministry, the more I realize that I don't have those answers so the easier it becomes to engage others.
Hopefully you might find the same principle works well for you.
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment