My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dr. Jay's Blog Debut!

Greetings, friends!

Welcome to the inaugural contribution of what will affectionately be known as “Dr. Jay’s blog”!

At the encouragement of a number of my dear partners in ministry, I’m going to attempt to communicate a little bit of my heart with you every day, Monday through Friday, based on what I believe the Spirit of the Lord is revealing to, through, and about me.

Let me say from the beginning that I welcome your response and trust that we’ll see this as an opportunity to dialog through this medium as well as to share some of my perspectives and insights born of over thirty years of public ministry.

As many of you know, Monday was my birthday. (I forget which one it was…!) However, I find that a couple times a year it is a valuable discipline to set aside some time and evaluate just how “life” is going and especially how I’m doing relative to my walk with Jesus and my commitment to trust Him in all things.

I was convicted by a scripture that I’ve been quoting a lot frequently in John 14:1 where Jesus says “Let not your heart be troubled…” Candidly, I’ve been doing some of that lately; that is, letting my heart be troubled. I find that circumstances have a way of getting into one’s mind and quickly traveling into the heart where they create a sense of unrest and dissonance that causes me to break fellowship with the One who promises that He has all things under control and is actually working them together for good in my life! (Romans 8:28). In fact, the more I worry, the less I’m trusting and the more I’m evidencing that I feel I must be in control since apparently Jesus is not.

I know this is much easier said than done. Circumstances are difficult and life does have its challenges. However, what I have resolved to do, once again, is to take those matters immediately to the Lord and place them at the cross where Jesus clearly and eternally demonstrated that He is willing to pay whatever price is necessary for my total salvation; body, mind, and spirit. When I do that, and follow it with some expressions of praise and worship, I find that those problems and issues gain a different perspective.

Friends, wouldn’t you say that perspective is of enormous value in this life. When we see our problems and put them in perspective to what really matters in the long run it helps us to have the strength to make our way through even complicated and difficult issues.

Monday was an opportunity for me to re-commit myself to not “let my heart be troubled” and so I began a new day laying those difficult things before the Lord and actually sensing that He was lifting the burden from me. As a result, I’ve already begun to grow in my confidence that the Lord is going to work things out not just for me, but for everyone that’s being effected by those matters which caused me to be “troubled”.

I hope you’ll give this simple exercise a try and see if it works for you as well.

Blessings,

Dr. Jay

5 comments:

  1. Dr. Jay,
    I enjoyed your heartfelt message. Gary will also read it. Love to Carol.
    Blessings,
    Laine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Pastor Jay!

    And, Happy Birthday, young fellow!

    I enjoyed your first comments here and look forward to many more. I appreciate your openness to share something of your "growing in grace and truth" with the whole world. We praise God for you and your wife and what He is doing through you and the Northway Christian Community around the world!

    May God bless your ministry in and to the church
    and in and to the
    world
    .

    David Barrett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very timely. I cannot sleep tonight because I am letting my heart be troubled by the news that will be announced on Sunday. Leaving my saddness at the foot of the cross and getting some sleep is a great idea - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Doc! I loved finding your new blog, and I am personally praying that many, many wonderful happenings be derived from all this bloggery!! I look forward to reading more from you and feel it's a terrific way for you to help close the personal time/gap between you and your quite large congegation! Good Stuff! May God bless your blog and all that read it! Glory to God!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor Jay,

    I just wanted to thank you for the message. You don't know how much you have touched my life and you don't even know me. I've been attending Northway for about two years now, but I have not been involved in any groups. I am trying to get involved, but everytime I try to make that next step something pulls me back. I don't know what it is. I enjoy coming to church, I enjoy listening to you teachings. Thanks again! God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete