My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Measuring Fruit...

One of the most challenging issues that we (I) face in our lives is measuring our fruitfulness as we walk with Jesus.

In my "world" as a pastor, effectiveness has been reduced to "numbers" of people in attendance and dollars given in the offering for most of us. Not that Jesus didn't care about those things. He referenced crowds by number and spoke more about money than prayer!

This weekend, our attendance was down from the previous weeks (and I haven't seen the offering yet), but the fruit was amazing. To know that over fifty people made decisions to "follow Jesus" (and this was a clear invitation to come to the cross, not just rededicate), makes this an incredibly FRUITFUL day for all involved.

Sadly, it won't be remembered for that; just the down attendance.

In the end, Oswald Chambers makes it even more subjective. To him, fruitfulness is "intimacy with Jesus." I have yet to find any one that can put a measurement on that quality, but I will tell you that I have come to "know" when I'm with a person who seeks that lifestyle.

So, I go on today, seeking intimacy and trusting that lasting fruit will be born. I guess I'll have to leave it to others to do the measuring.

Blessings,

Dr. Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment