Over the past weeks I've been reflecting on the very swift and noticeable decline in the influence of many churches and non-profit ministries that bear the name of Jesus in our part of the country and nationwide.
It seems that in very subtle, yet clearly perceptible ways, the name of Jesus has been erased from the public square and even the ministries that once were established to lift up His name and carry out acts of kindness, care, compassion and justice.
Last evening I visited a ministry that was established under the covering of 30 some churches in an area of our city. There are fine people that are leading that ministry and it's doing a significant work in alleviating the needs of the poorest folks in our city; but I have doubts about whether or not Jesus is being exalted in the midst of what's taking place.
It's no wonder, then, that many of the churches that once supported that ministry have ceased to flourish because they have abandoned the gospel as well.
None of us do this perfectly. However, that's no reason to not continue to examine everything we do and make sure that it's rooted in bringing glory to the Savior that gave His all for us.
Wayne Cordeiro, of New Hope Church in Honolulu, clearly stated that any ministry that ceased to touch the lives of people in the name of Christ, probably had no room in the agenda of a truly evangelical church. I'm seeking to examine everything that I do and that our church does through this lens and I pray you might look at your life in the same way as well.
The blessing in all this is yours, of course!
Following Him with you,
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment