My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

How did this happen?

Forty years ago, I thought any one who was 65 was OLD. Not necessarily
grumpy or inactive... just old.
I suppose that may still be the lens through which younger people view 
older people; but now that I'm here, it's much different than I ever imagined.


Life is full and rich; energy is seems to be nearly the same as 20 years ago,
and every day still presents opportunities to make a difference in this life.


There's no doubt that the 'physical body' is less forgiving and more fraught with
potential 'inconveniences'; but many other blessings more than compensate
for these potential limitations. I never dreamed that I would so enjoy a
45 minute ride a bicycle; pushing myself to near exhaustion, but the rewards
are too numerous to list. (I can still wear a sport coat that was a lovely gift
30 years ago!)


People are now somehow more "interesting" than before. We value one another
because of our plethora of experiences. We know that nothing in life is more
valuable than other people; and we tend to make time to appreciate and 
enjoy them. It's also fascinating that some of the people that touched my life
35-40 years ago are still the most important ones to me.. even though we
may not see each other as often as we would like.


Spiritually, there isn't room to do justice to this phase. We know heaven is
much closer than ever before; but we still want to 'live' in the fullness of
the grace of each day on this earth. Jesus is still 'all that matters'; but
giving Him the time (that you now have) is somehow more of a discipline
than when you were really 'busy'. I suppose it's because you have no ulterior
motive for seeking Him other than just your 'heart to heart' relationship.


I don't want to finish without saying 'thank you' to the many of you who help
to fill my life with your love, acceptance and forgiveness. Carol and my family
have a wonderful part of that; but many of you add the rich colors and 
textures to life. God has seen fit to bless me with good health for the most 
part, and that surely enables all of the above to happen more naturally.


So, bring on the Seniors jokes. (Carol leads that ministry at North Way, so
I will at least 'get in'). But don't look for me to slow down any time soon; to
put my bike away or trade in my outrageously fast car. I still play my music
on the 'loud' side and when it comes to my faith, family, future.. it's all about
the passion!
   Jay











2 comments:

  1. Regardless of how it happened, we pray the best for you in your 'golden years'; and welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now the age that my father-in-law was when Kristine and I were married. Yeah...how DID that happen indeed. You instructed me as a young Christian and I shall always refer to my years at Northway as some of the most important and formative. You were the first influential pastor of my life. Thank you, for obeying God's call. I pray the grave is many, many bends down the road and that He will lead you to it in full vigor. Everlasting thanks and celebration for your and blessings to the family.

    ReplyDelete