It's been a while since my last post because I've been taking some time to 'listen'
to what I'm supposed to be learning right now.
Six weeks ago, my 'chronic' (hate that word) back pain was pulling me down and
limiting some of my best hours of the day.
Coincidentally, my Home Group was in the middle of studying a book "The Essentials of Healing" by Bill Johnson and Randy Clark. (Both of these men were
greatly influenced by the ministry of John Wimber who was an acquaintance of mine over 20 years ago).
The group determined that rather than 'just read' another book and put it on the shelf; they needed to pray for someone who was dealing with a physical issue and put 'our faith to the test'. I was nominated, voted on and approved before I
could even object!
The group prayed that night, but as usual, nothing dramatic happened. However,
the key principle in the teaching of Wimber and in this book; is that most healing
is progressive, NOT instantaneous. You have to continue to pray and believe!
For my part, the Lord nudged me to set aside any pain medications I was taking
to manage my problem and to 'trust Him' while the group prayed.
This may seem like 'no big deal'; but when you are living with every day pain,
trust me, it is.
Here's the latest. As of this Wednesday, it will be six full weeks of 'life without
meds' and best of all; the back pain is greatly reduced; and often not even
on my mind!
My group is encouraged; but I am rejoicing! I know I have more 'healing to go';
that the process is still at work, but there is absolutely no doubt that the Lord
is working in a tangible way!
I will update you in a couple of weeks. However, if you need a touch from God
for physical healing, find some folks who will believe with you; maybe read some
parts of the book I mentioned, hold on to Scripture when you have setbacks,
and you, too, may find that 'Jesus is the same, yesterday, today and forever!
Pastor Jay
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!!i
ReplyDeletePastor Jay,
ReplyDeleteWow, I remember you talking about back pain 20 years ago. I'm sorry you have suffered. My husband has a degenerative and very painful muscle disease call myopathy. He was taking oxycodone but got used to it so it stopped working. Just fyi, for the heck of it he tried the anti-depressant called cymbalta. It has been proven to help body pain. He used to be literally stuck on the couch the days after he exerted himself, for example, if he cut the grass. Well he is doing things that usually result in severe pain the next few days. He hasn't touched his oxycodone. He was skeptical but it has reduced his pain. It's not gone but much more tolerable. It's nice because it's not an addictive narcotic. Well, whatever you do I will pray for you. By the way, what did you do originally to hurt your back?
So glad that the healing continues and you are still doing so well. I'm rejoicing with you and continuing to believe God for complete healing. Our trip to Cuba is quickly approaching.(leaving 5/18) Things are coming together.
ReplyDeleteI'm really excited about this because I know how back pain can wear on you & keep you from operating at your best. I have listened to several of Bill Johnson's sermons and have wondered whether anybody besides myself and a couple of my friends had ever heard of him. I guess the answer is yes there are more NWCC people that know of him than just the 2 or 3 I knew of. I'm looking forward to a future update on what God is doing in this situation.
ReplyDelete