My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Comeback!

I read with interest that Pittsburgh is the #3 city on MSN "Comeback Cities" list.
http://money.msn.com/investing/americas-comeback-cities


Those of us who live here are not surprised. Sure, we all know our limitations
and frustrations with systemic problems in the architecture of government and
education; but it's the people that make this city 'great'!


I've had numerous conversations lately with folks that are 'new' to the area
because of job opportunities or education (mentioned in the article); and they
are universally impressed with just how 'real' and 'friendly' Pittsburgh people are.


You have to lived elsewhere to fully appreciate this. I had some time in a small town in Virginia; two years outside of D.C. and 3 1/2 years in Pasadena, CA;
along with extended visits in Arizona. All of these areas have their strengths, but
none have our balance or our character.


Of course, the article doesn't mention the spiritual fabric of the 'Burgh as it's more of an 'economic' look than a cultural one. Even there, however, I see
ever present signs of spiritual hunger and health; not in big numbers as much
as solid commitment.  It's in this one area that I'd love to be on the forefront
of a real comeback; or better, a whole new paradigm of city-wide spiritual
renewal.


So, even if you tempted to see what isn't so good about our city; just remember
it's already "America's Most Livable" AND it's coming back! The next five years
should be very interesting!


Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment