My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spirit-life

Small Groups can be provide great insight into the real diversity and perspectives
of much larger groups.
Last night, our Home Group of 12 folks was studying a newly released book on
physical healing as part of God's provision for His people. As an introduction to
that topic we spent a full hour sharing our 'experiences and perspectives' on
what it means to 'be filled with the Spirit' and some of the other manifestations
that may occur with that experience (notice, I said 'may').
It was a very lively exchange where most everyone said something about their
experiences, positive and negative with 'spirit-filled' people. I came away with two
conclusions:
1. We have a very broad continuum of experience on this, just in our Church!
2. Stereotyping and misinformation abound!
I did a twelve part video series of 'spirit-fullness' about 3 years ago. I don't think there was a question asked last night that I hadn't address in those brief 12 minute lessons. The problem is that when we don't talk much about this New Testament
dynamic very often from the platform; folks just go with their history which is normally all over the map.
The good news is that the highest value is that we could still affirm the journey
we are all on; and that 'love' is still our highest goal!
Blessings,
Jay

1 comment:

  1. I agree! "Follow the way of Love" but the verse does not stop there. "and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy." 1 Corinthians, chapter 14 uses the word eager, twice more. In verse 12 "Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church. Verse 39 says "Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues." Of course it finishes with "But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way." I have found that not everyone understands what that may be; therefore, they seem to want to just stay away from having that relationship with the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately, I see it in one of my own small groups and find myself struggling with the right things to say and do. I am just a baby Christian (about a year old) but have already been baptized in the Holy Spirit, but lack the knowledge to share my experience with the group. I just started reading "The essential guide to healing" by Bill Johnson and Randy Clark and believe it may give me some insight in how to share more of my experience, so that it may urge others to seek Him (the Holy Spirit) as well.

    Back to "the problem" you mentioned! Does this mean that we (the church) can expect to see teachings on the Holy Spirit from the platform?

    Seeking Him,

    ReplyDelete