This past week, I spent a great deal of time in preparation for the weekend message and the responsibility that comes with teaching God's Word to a pretty large group of people. Not everyone realizes what it takes to put together a weekend message but in my case, it's at least 20 hours of rather intense study and preparation of various kinds, not to mention the underlying prayer and indirect spiritual preparation that goes on.
It's a great privilege, to be sure, to teach to a church family in multiple locations and one that I cherish. On the other hand, I still believe that the most significant impact in my life comes through the one on one contacts and connections that I make with individuals.
Today, I met with a couple members of our leadership team, but the best hour or so that I'll spend in the day will be with my son who works in the city and with whom I spend nearly every Tuesday at lunch.
The things that we talk about are personal and have to do with discovering life in our respective seasons, but its really a joy to me to spend time with him (that is any of my kids or their families).
Something "clicked" in me during that time about the way that Jesus spent His time with the crowd, the twelve and the few, even individuals for whom He made every effort to be available.
You may not have a crowd to speak to, but we all have individuals and small bands of folks that we influence. Never lose sight of just how much your testimony, your expressions of care and interest in the lives actually mean in helping them shape a Kingdom based set of priorities and values.
By the way, its likely the most blessed time you will know as a person who is seeking to follow Christ.
There's a real balance between the "saying" and the "doing" of the gospel.
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment