These days here in Western Pennsylvania the last glimpses of the beautiful autumn foliage are everywhere to be seen. Remnants of the blazing maples trees, the still changing Bradford pears and the bright yellow ash are all around.
At the same time, the increasing number of gray skies causes the palette of this beauty to be somewhat dulled as we are clearly between the seasons of autumn and winter.
As we sojourn through these days it reminds me to start to prepare for winter by thinking a lot more "internally." I mean that both in the physical sense of not being able to be outside nearly as much during the winter months and also with reference to spending more time reading, reflecting and examining my inner man.
I find that winter lends itself far more to such reflection than the other seasons. Because you're not free to run about at every whim, you necessarily make more time to read, journal and reflect about what's happening in your life, what the Lord might be saying to you through Scripture and what specific missional things He wants you to be about.
I trust that as you prepare for the changes in your own life that you'll make the time to slow down enough to hear what God is saying. The great rush that so many are in during the other three seasons should definitely be put aside for some respite during this season which I believe in the mind of God was created just for such a purpose.
Blessings!
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment