In my morning devotional to the staff today, I read Matthew 11:16 & 17-
“To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the market places and calling out to each other:
“We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
We sang a dirge, and you did not mourn”
Then I showed them a two minute video clip of world famous violinist Joshua Bell who on a bit of an experiment, went into a DC Metro subway station, unannounced, in street clothes. Mr. Bell is widely regarded as the best violinist in the world and people pay hundreds of dollars to go to one of his concerts.
In addition, he also took with him a four million dollar Stradivarius Violin from 1713.
In the video, Mr. Bell is seen playing six of his most famous violin pieces while hundreds, if not thousands, of hurried people speed by him totally ignoring the masterful and beautiful music that he was playing; in such a hurry that they had no idea that this was a once in a life time opportunity to be “up close and personal” with a world master.
The response of the staff was pretty amazing. Some were very encouraged by the fact that, perhaps, we can do our best but still be ignored! Others felt, discouraged that the world was not interested in hearing anything but what was on their minds.
For me, I found the whole exercise very thought provoking. I encourage you to go to YouTube and type in Joshua Bell Metro to watch the video piece for yourself.
What will it take for us to have others hear, that is truly hear with their heart, the best message of all time: that is the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus!
Blessings,
Pastor Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment