My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Sometimes it costs

Last evening, I wasn’t feeling my best, but I had made a commitment to take my Mom into Pittsburgh to see a play at the Benedum Center. My Mom spent some of her “best years" in the city and loves anything that has to do with the Cultural District or shopping downtown! When I bought these tickets about 3 months ago, I had envisioned a lot more “margin” in my schedule and that this particular evening would be very easy for me. But I hadn’t counted on the fact that the ride I hoped my Mom would have from her home in Beaver wouldn’t be available. That part of the equation fell apart and it was necessary for Carol and me to pick up my Mom as well as take her home. (If you’re not familiar with the geography, we live in the North and Beaver is west of the city…so it added about 2 hours to the entire experience!)

Nonetheless, my Mom must have thanked me half a dozen times for the evening, for how much she enjoyed it and how grateful she was to “get out” and experience some of those things which she enjoys the most.

I expect that there are very few things that we do of consequence that don’t cost us something. In fact, in Scripture, David says in 1 Chronicles that he will not give to the Lord any offering that does not cost him. (1Chron 21:24)

This same principle is probably true with other people as well. There’s something about the “cost” that makes it really matter and I don’t mean that just in terms of finances. It’s putting yourself out for others that really demonstrates that you care and sends the message like nothing else can. Maybe the Lord will give you that opportunity this weekend.

Looking forward to worshipping with you!

Blessings,

Pastor Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment