For many of the early years of my life, I was free from some of the most difficult things that invade young people and create hardship and even in my “boomer years” felt God’s grace and protection.
One thing I have not been able to escape has been an 18 year battle with back pain. It occurs as a result of an injury from playing basketball in high school but was never really “treated” until 1995 when I had full surgery including an implant to help stabilize my back. Over the past 15 years things have been working very well, but not perfectly.
It just seems that recently things have gotten more difficult and as a result I have been much more aware of my human limitations.
Now the reason I am sharing all of this is to let you know that we can do one of two things with pain. We can either bemoan our situation and cry out to God and continue to nurse ourselves along; or we can be reminded to give thanks for all the good things that He has provided for us and most important, to care for others. Compassion is what flows out of pain if you are able to get your eyes off yourself.
I can’t say I am all the way there yet. However, I am grateful for what I have to go through because it reminds me of so many others in much more serious situations who need a word of encouragement from me. Maybe this is true of you in some small way or some similar way, and I urge you to take the second path. The fruit is lasting and sweet.
Blessings,
Pastor Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment