My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Still learning!

Our families are together for the better part of a week. It's admittedly too
hot for comfort, but it's more the daily challenge of "getting along" that reveals
my character weakness.
One would think that after so many years together, adapting to the varied needs
and desires of extended family wouldn't be so tough. That, sadly, isn't the case.
Proximity just allows you to confirm all of the perceived shortcomings and flaws
in our family; rather than finding grace to see them through those tough times.

I'm not pleased with where God is revealing my heart to be right now. At this phase, I should be much more patient and tolerant. The monster of "self", however,
just won't let that happen without a huge battle.

And so, I'm still learning that loving doesn't come easily or naturally; but it is still
far superior to the alternative of isolation and loneliness.

Blessings,
Jay

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Pastor Jay for letting me know I am not alone in this !!! It is such a struggle each time I travel to go visit family. Love them all dearly, but am always disappointed in my inmost thoughts and feelings while together :-/ Thanks for being so transparent with us !!! Will pray for your peace and joy with family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,

    This is a common discussion in our house.....the monster of self. It is such a battle that I believe many of us deal with. I appreciate you being so transparent. Great word of wisdom for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate your transparency!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After I read your post I thought did Pastor Jay write that or did I? It certainly spoke the feelings of my heart after every family vacation. I agree, you think it would get easier to lose some 'self' in favor of grace but the battle returns every year and sadly, 'self' wins again. I leave examining my short comings and the flaws of my heart and it is just as painful every year to see that in myself. Thankfully love overcomes and God gives us another chance yet again! Praise HIM!

    ReplyDelete