It wasn’t a big deal, really. But after several months of saying hello to my neighbor and talking about very insignificant things like the weather, the Pirates or politics, I took the step of asking if he’d like to get together to maybe talk about some more important things in life.
I will confess he had a bit of a mystified look in his eyes, but he quickly answered “I’d like that!” And so I now face the prospect of sitting with a relative stranger and talking about some things that really matter which I know will include a discussion of the things of God as well as what’s going on in our personal lives.
Loved ones, it always begins with a step. Someone’s got to make that initial move that initiates a meaningful exchange. Who might that be in your life today?
Blessings,
Pastor Jay
It's interesting that you mentioned your comfort level when taking that step. Some people are naturals when it comes to building rapport and making other feel welcome, while others hope that their neighbor’s don't greet them ,for fear that they would be compelled to respond.
ReplyDeleteFeeling discomfort is okay, even with the little steps. The following words by Darren Hewer offer encouragement.
"Whenever you feel inadequate, like you want to ask "Who am I, Lord, to be chosen for this task?" just remember the disciples, terrified on a boat in the middle of the lake. In reality they were always secure because they were with their Lord. Embrace your role as an everyday disciple in your daily journey with Jesus, who is with you always!
Be Blessed,
K.