One of my small group members recently passed along a well researched study that identified the fact that about 58% of Americans do not read another book after high school!
That study also confirmed that 65% of evangelical Christians have never read the entire New Testament. (A less startling fact, but a more disturbing one!) The reason given for both of these sad realities was: "I just don't have time to read".
Here's the truth. Unless you read God's Word, you will not ever rise to your place of destiny as a follower of Jesus, nor will you have any burden for those outside of the Kingdom. “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word (rhema) of God" Romans 10:17 says.
I'm like most of you. I have to MAKE time to read God's Word on a daily basis. It does not get easier even as you get "older". Life continually fills up all time you don't control by making a commitment to do what is important, not just what is urgent or pleasurable.
Take the time to read: God's Word and other edifying things as well. You will be enriched for doing so, and others will be affected as a direct result.
Think eternally!
Dr. Jay
Here's my daily plan - 1 chapter from the bible and 1 chapter from another book. It's not a burden.
ReplyDeleteI have to admit though some days it's not enough and I read more.
I don't beat myself up when I miss a day either.