Over the past few weeks, I've had a number of conversations around the topic of "good theology." Many of these were sparked by a comment I made in a recent message where I said "What you believe will largely determine how you behave."
Perhaps a more thorough explanation of that deduction can be found in Mark Driscoll's book "Doctrine" where he says "Because we are made in the image of the triune God to reflect His glory, we will never stop longing; yet our sin stained longings destroy that reflection." ("Doctrine" published by "Good News" publishers 2010)
It's fair to say that in our experiential age, very little time is devoted to understanding why we do the things that we do thus resulting in sometimes shallow thinking and rather reflexive behavior than Spirit lead actions.
There's no quick fix to this issue but I have repeatedly shared with our team that I purpose to give a good deal of my future time to deepening our theological core and helping everyone who's willing to sink the roots of their theological understanding into the soil of God's word so that they're not easily swayed by the winds of diversity or prosperity that might come our way.
We are all theologians whether or not we identify ourselves as that. The reality is that we simply are acting on "good theology" or "bad theology": the choice is up to us!
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
P.S. For some suggestions on how to get started in reading broadly in the theological world without getting overwhelmed I recommend Mark Driscoll's book as a starting point and then following with some of his references. Another great contemporary voice with solid theology is Charles Colson and all his writings.
No comments:
Post a Comment