I wonder how many of us give up on our dreams too early.
It’s not uncommon, I’m sure, but it’s such a sad thing when we think we’re either too far behind the curve, too old or too out of touch to continue to believe God for the dream He put into our hearts.
Just today, I was on the phone with a friend who had 20+ years of business experience plus some other kinds of non-profit work but in his heart of hearts always wanted to be a pastor.
By most measurements he really shouldn’t have kept his dream alive because being in his 50’s he was too far along in his career to make this happen.
But with technology today, the advent of all kinds of creative ways of doing church, there was a space for him and he is now in his second year of being a full time pastor, and loving it!
The lesson for me was to not let my dreams die just because circumstances may be getting in the way. As long as the Holy Spirit continues to nudge me in that direction, continues to sustain my belief, then I’m going to trust God to open the doors and make it happen. (After all, isn’t that what He did with Abraham? Romans 4:17)
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
Hello Pastor Jay,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. If only my body and energy level did. I believe I am being called to go on the mission trip to Hondorus with the Orphan Care ministry. God has already made 900.00 available. I'm not sure how to go about raising the rest without taking on a second job.
It's really a neat experience. A month ago I went to the river bank with a precious friend to pray outloud together. We both needed a fresh touch of the Lord. In my prayer I told God I wanted to open an orphanage and help his children. I do not know anything about orphanages or have any formal training at all. I told God that and only if it was his will for me he would use me. I let it go and did really think about it much, but when I did I just laughed that I even asked for it.
Then you gave the sermon about the orphan care ministry. It so touched my heart and I was wondering if God wanted me to go. I knew I had no money for this so I just picked up the flyers and gave it over again to God.
Monday I went to church and my boss was discussing his churches sermon and I shared mine. I mentioned how I have always wanted to help children in need. He asked me why I don't go and I told him if God wanted me to go he would make it happen and provide the means.
A week went by and I was leaving work on Friday and my boss said he wanted to talk to me on Monday morning and that someone wanted to pay for my trip.
My head just reeled. I cried and praised the Lord the whole way home. I called my friend in disbelief and we both praised the Lord.
Well all weekend I asked myself how I was going to go and leave those needy children behind when I left. How was I going to dish out food in a food line and run out; then look into the next childs eyes.
When I went into work on Monday my boss said he prayed about it and was told to pay for half of my trip. I felt really funny accepting it but the Lord had spoke. My boss said I guess we will see if you are really serious abuot this.
I have contacted the number on the flyer a couple times and no one has returned my call yet. Do you know if they have ways to raise money for this? I guess I need a passport too. I have never gone on a mission trip before.
God is so good and really does know the inner most parts of my heart. I hope my husband is ok with all this. He seems to be. I'm sure God will work everything out. He always does. He is faithful and worthy of all praise!