Because we will be taking a “day off” tomorrow, I wanted to mention the significance of why I think it’s appropriate for churches to celebrate Independence Day.
Believe it or not, there are some who question whether or not we should have anything “patriotic” in our services. They feel that the church should not be about America but about worshipping God.
Although I completely agree that the focus of worship is Jesus Christ and His full revelation as eternal God, I also believe that He clearly works through peoples to accomplish His redemptive purposes. The Hebrew nation was His chosen people, and I believe that we as Americans have been given a special favor born of the humility of our founding fathers and the early pilgrims who came here to establish a nation free from religious oppression.
Please take the time over the next few days to give God praise, thanks and even celebrate the fact that you have the freedom to worship God passionately and openly and to be with others who share your convictions. This is a gift that much of the world does not enjoy and for most of history, was never understood.
Think about that and in so doing I believe you’ll have one of the best Fourth of July holidays ever!
Affectionately,
Dr. Jay
I think that it is important that the church recognizes our country, just for the sheer fact that we have the freedom to worship openly.
ReplyDeleteInspiring as always. My daughters bf is a premed student at Pit. He attends the Oakland campus. As a new believer, he finds it to be encouraging and egaging. Great work Pastor J and thanks for all you do.
ReplyDeleteA former employee who has learned, and continues to learn, from your life and ministry.
P Tom