Because the area where I’m staying for this study break is quite flat, the only real significant difference in the effort expended in my bike ride is the direction of the wind.
Bicyclists find out relatively quickly that “headwinds” are not your friend. In fact, an enormous amount of energy is expended to go the same speed against a 10 to15 mile an hour wind as would be to ride in the direction of that same wind.
As I’ve been thinking about this, I wonder how many times in my daily life I assume the wind is blowing a certain way and just launch out into it. Perhaps that’s why some things are more difficult than they should be. Maybe that’s why some prayers don’t seem to get answered or some relatively simple tasks don’t get accomplished. Perhaps the wind is blowing a different direction and I’m working “against it” instead of “with it”.
I know this is a simple metaphor but when you’ve just spent an hour riding 25 minutes with the wind and 35 minutes against it, it becomes a rather painful lesson!
That’s why Jesus wrote in John 3 “we don’t know which way the wind is blowing”, but we’d certainly do well to try to discern that and then allow the wind (the Holy Spirit) to carry us along. How much more fruitful and rested we would be!
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment