My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Opportunity Trap

Maybe you've been caught in the opportunity trap. Those are the unforeseen moments that come into our lives when it appears that God has opened a door that you absolutely "have to" go forward through and seize the opportunity to advance the Kingdom or serve someone in a particular way.

These opportunities come disguised in many forms and they always seem to be such unusual gifts that you can't imagine that God's not in it.

However, remember that you can only give yourself to so many opportunities before they begin to crowd Jesus out of your life and become too much for you to handle. Then what was once an opportunity now becomes a trap. A trap that keeps you from giving the Lord your best time, serving others that you've already made commitments to or simply keeping a balance in your life.

Now I'm certain that many of you wish you had more opportunities, but I'm also equally certain that a number of you feel like I do right now that there are more opportunities than there are hours in the day. How do you know when God's opening the door and when it's just another trap?

The only answer to that question comes by those unhurried times of waiting on the Lord, listening to His voice through scripture and then seeking wise counsel about each opportunity as it comes your way.

When they truly are from God, each opportunity becomes an enormous blessing to you and others. I hope you're able to discern the difference.

Blessings,

Dr. Jay

1 comment:

  1. Great words Jay. Thanks for sharing. That is one of the things I prayed about often as Susie and I were preparing for our transition to Thailand. It seems to me that these opportunities always cost more that it at first seems. Getting involved with something takes more than the hour or two one first thinks.

    This transition has taken everything we have. We gave it willingly. I believe God uses things in our life to draw us closer to Him. It's not about what I might be able to do in this ministry or that, although there is fruit there! It is about coming fully to God.

    ReplyDelete