My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Whole Package

In some recent conversations I've been reminded that more often than I would like, comments or actions that I make are interpreted simply "in the moment" rather than "in context."

I don't blame the recipients about this at all, rather I point the finger back at myself. I need to remind the people that I might be challenging that certain circumstances in my life may be causing me to lean in one direction or another and that should be taken into account or set as a backdrop for the words I'm about to share.

It's been interesting to see that once people understood the whole package of what I was dealing with at the time, they understood why I may have said certain things the way I did.

Relationships are complex and exchanges don't always allow the luxury of time for explanation. Our simple rule around here is that we "give grace" when difficult things happen but in the end it is very helpful for people to know the context of anything that might be perceived as difficult in their eyes. That way they get the sense of the whole package and are more likely to receive the positive intent that you had all along.

Blessings,

Dr. Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment