I'm going through a day when I'm in a good bit of pain because of the ongoing issues that I suffer with my lower back problems.
When the beautiful weather came last week I got my bike out and began to ride aggressively; enjoying the outdoors for the first time in many months.
However, my body wasn't ready for it and as a consequence I'm paying quite a price and don't have any way to mitigate the discomfort. I simply have to trust God and work through it.
This is a bit of a metaphor of a lot of things that we do in life. We sometimes jump into the deep end and we're not really ready and as a result we pay a price, whether it be relationally, financially, emotionally or physically. What I should have done is take it really easy on the bike for a week or two and then come through it in much better shape. Likewise, we're wise if we ease into those things which have the potential to stress us out in any of the ways that I mentioned.
Eugene Peterson refers to this in reference to Matthew 28 when he calls it the unforced rhythms of grace. I can think of no better counsel for any of us in this season!
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment