Now that we're settled back into the regular "routine" of life I was pierced once again by the insightful words of Oswald Chambers.
"And he pitched his tent having Bethel on the west and Ai on the east: and there he built an altar." Genesis 12:8
Bethel is the symbol of communion with God and Ai is the symbol of the world. Abraham pitched his tent between the two. In other words, there is a need to balance our life between what the world demands of us and what God desires of us.
What God desires is communion with Him. Once again, to quote Chambers, "Rush is wrong every time, there's always plenty of time to worship God."
I don't know about you but I find those words extremely convicting because of the way that I allow my time to be consumed by what the world demands of me.
What strikes me so powerfully about these words is that they were written nearly 80 years ago and have the same piercing impact in my life today as they did when written back in the 1930's.
Life really doesn't change, does it? However, our ability to respond to this exhortation and to "pitch our tent," that is plant our life, between what the world demands and what God desires is a decision we make every single day!
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
Needed to hear that one as I struggle to find this balance all the time. Thanks for taking the time to write - always blessed by your blog!
ReplyDelete