Some years ago, Carol & I were involved in a real estate transaction that had to do with property that one of our children was interested in purchasing.
Because we were the “family representative”, we dealt with the people first-hand that were doing the “buying and selling” and their respective real estate agents. We were far more impressed with the attention to detail, respectfulness and apparent integrity of the agent that represented the seller, almost more than with our own. Six years later, when asked for a recommendation, we immediately gave his name to a friend.
What it is about a person of high integrity that is so appealing to us? I think it has to do with the fact that so many people are just the opposite; they go out of their way to get what they can or do what’s best for them and integrity is simply a crutch for those who have to use it because the law says so.
On the other hand, I’ve found the opposite to be true. High integrity people are always the first ones I turn to because I know that I will invariably benefit from their personal commitment as well as the other parties involved in whatever transaction is taking place.
The lesson in all of this may be getting lost. In its simplest form, it is best said in the words of Solomon: “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” (Proverbs 4:22-24) Integrity always pays well and though it may not happen in that very moment, even years down the road it will still be paying dividends in the relationships that we’ve come to have over the years.
So why not commit yourself to being a person of integrity in small things as well as the inevitable “big rocks” in your life? In the end, you’ll find people will go out of their way to serve your vision and remain an advocate for what you do just as you do for them.
Blessings,
Pastor Jay
Pastor Jay,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your comments about integrity and was truly blessed. I have always been the consumate optimist and truly enjoy my salvation and revelation of Jesus as my Lord and King. But recently I have been experiencing some depression and crazy thoughts have come in my head. This is definitely not something I am used to. Maybe it's a mid-life crisis or the overwhelming responsibilities of wife, four kids, job, church etc....I so desire to fulfill all these roles with integrity. I appreciate your heart and thanks for sharing in your blog. It is a good word in due season. Bless you man!!!