Though I'm an advocate of the idea of "managing relationships"; there are times when you just have to "be there" for people even when it's not "in the plan". Thus, my day of simplicity morphed in to a day of complexity with no less than a dozen phone calls and messages that required some sort of response.
I'm blessed to be needed and in no way do I regret those investments. It also reminds me that even Jesus had "limits"; rarely but decidedly "getting away" from the crowds. It's a necessary part of finding "realistic balance" in life.
So, I have to hope that because I was able to make some time today, I may have a little more space tomorrow to exercise what Bill Hybles calls "self-care". There are no easy answers to life's tough questions, so my conversations were necessarily complex, but as I wrap up the day, I have peace that I tried to obey
as I was led, and hopefully ministered grace in the midst of complexity.
Pastor Jay
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThe shepherd cares for and feeds the flock (and quite well, thank you J-pa). Who cares for the shepherd? Please rest and refresh.
ReplyDeleteJohn
You are a very selflessness man. You could have been selfish and ignored the needs presented to you on that day. I know I get irritable when people bother me and I'm not in the mood. I've learned how to find that fine line of putting yourself first to stay healthy and yet being flexible when someone needs me. One thing I know is some people will drain all you have and then some if you let them. That's when it's time to reevaluate the situation and consider setting boundaries so you are not drained.
ReplyDelete