My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Who Your Friends Are

Over the past weeks, I’ve been involved in a very challenging situation that has required the input of people around the country. Although this is not an issue that directly involves me, it does involve a close friend and someone many others know for various reasons.

In one of the encounters that I recently had with this individual and some other professionals, the comment was made “it’s at times like this that you know who your friends are.”

Although that’s a bit of a cliché, I have to say that in my experience over the past several weeks, nothing could be more true than that simple, though not even Biblical, statement.

Friends will step up into a situation, even at the cost of personal sacrifice, and will do whatever’s necessary to see you through the situation you face. Friends don’t think of themselves, they think of your need and how they can help you to meet it.

Friends withhold judgment and criticism and offer support and counsel and friends don’t expect anything in return.

Everyone should have at least a few people like that in their lives, and if you have more than a couple you’re blessed beyond measure. Of course, such friendships are built over time. They are actually “earned” and not given out of a desire to be “nice.”

As I take stock of my own life, I realize that I have several such people in my life and I am eternally grateful for them. I may never need them, but I also have the privilege of being there for them in cases where they may need me. In any event, the idea of friendship has taken on a whole new meaning for me.

Have a great weekend!

Blessings,

Pastor Jay

2 comments:

  1. So accurate. Thank God for that 1...2, true friends. God created us for relationship. And yet it is the one thing that is so attacked today. I believe the reason why most friendships are shallow is because they are bound by purposes rather than the person. Meaning, transactional arrangements, instead of God intended relationships.

    If purpose (transaction) is the only thing that binds you and I together then what we have between us will always be an agenda. It's reality that 99% of our friendships hinge upon that. No wonder why leaders are some of the lonliest people. They desire to be surrounded by true friendship but walk a thin line of building their careers/vision around people with certain skills. When the skills are no longer viable for the organization, the need for the relationship decreases, redefines, and almost always ends.

    Another reason why true friends are a gift from God. One can measure the goodness of God by the relationships He gives us. We are to steward them and celebrate them.

    Other than my wife...I could count on one hand the true friendships I have. The rest are just acquaintances hinged on mutual interests or transactional purposes.

    Especially in ministry. And that, Jay, is such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said...I have one true friend and many acquaintances. I am so blessed to have that one lifelong sister/friend. She knows the best and the worst of me and loves me regardless. And I am that friend for her. What a blessing to be and to have a friend. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete