Some of the people around here know that I've discovered a new form of exercise and involvement in the sport of "biking". It's a long story that I can tell another time but I "test drove the idea" during my study break and then when I came back to Pittsburgh, with the help of a dear friend at North Way, built an awesome bike that should last me for years.
Yesterday, however, I experienced what every veteran cyclist will tell you: "You're going to have a tumble". And I did. I'll spare you the gory details, but in the end, I was a little bruised and slightly bloodied, but no significant damage to report (thankfully!) to me or to my bike (which I was more concerned about than me).
I've said for many years that life can change in an instant. As I was tumbling to the ground not knowing how I was going to fall or if I was going to get up, that quote went through my mind and made more sense than it ever had before. So be thankful if life is steady, but always be prepared for the fact that life can change in a moment... and that's bike lesson #1!
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
When we moved here from Ohio in 2000, biking took on a new meaning. The term "hill" has a different definition here in the 'Burgh. :-)
ReplyDeleteNot being afraid to fall has application in many parts of our lives. At work, with kids, in sports . . . . The best part is getting back up and knowing you survived to ride another day. WOO HOO!