I was struck by the comments of Dick LeBeau, the Defensive Coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers, when he was giving his acceptance speech at the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Mr. LeBeau has accomplished an amazing number of things in the 7 or so years since he “should have” retired, as you’ll read in the short excerpt below. In reflecting on this, I’m very mindful of what I feel I’m hearing more and more from other “baby boomers”; though retirement has some appeal, the idea of being purposeful and making a contribution to something important in life continues to drive them to get up every day and be “sold out” to their cause.
“…I'll leave you with one thing. Life is for living, folks. Don't let a number be anything other than a number. Don't let somebody tell you that you're too old to do this or too old to do that. Stay in life. Life is a gift. It's a joy. Don't drop out of it. Don't let somebody else tell you and don't let your mind tell you.
If I would have gotten out of my life's work at 65 or 67, when they say is the age of retirement, here is what I would have missed, folks. I would have missed not one but two World Championship football teams that I got to be a part of. That's these guys over here. I got to be a part of a No. 1 defense that statistically had the lowest numbers in the last 35 or 40 years. I had my number retired from my high school. Had a building named after me in my hometown. I made the Detroit Lions all 75 year team. I was accepted into the Ohio State University Athletic Hall of Fame. Now tonight I guess when I sit down, get off this speaking, which I'm gonna do, I'll be in the NFL Hall of Fame.
My mother always said, ‘Onward and upward, age is just a number.’ God love y'all. Thank you.” Dick LeBeau
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20100807/SPT02/100807007/
No comments:
Post a Comment