Monday is normally my “day off”. In effect, it’s my Sabbath as my normal Sunday (like yesterday), is 8-10 hours long and hardly restful!
Today, however, I went to a memorial service for Mr. Charles “Chuckie” Walker, a member of North Way for the past 10 years, and a man much loved by his family and friends.
As I reflect back over the many blogs I’ve done, I don’t remember mentioning a memorial service except for someone in my own family, but this particular hour was very moving to me. The testimonies of the people who love Chuck were substantive and talked about his character, his temperament, and his love for Jesus which became clear to him very late in life.
The most moving moment for me was when an Army Color Guard presented the family with the American flag which they carefully folded in front of all after “Taps” were played. Mr. Walker had served in World War II under General Patton and was clearly one of the many folks who comprised the “greatest generation” as named by Tom Brokaw in his book by the same name. The presentation of the flag reminded everyone present that we are all part of a great nation and, in this case, a great church, where these values of sacrifice, honor, service and duty mean something that we must never allow to lose their importance in our eyes.
I know that “Chuckie” Walker will be missed here at North Way but his legacy will carry on those values and, because we are endeavoring to raise the next generation upon similar Biblical values, there’s hope that future generations will likewise share in life as it was meant to be.
This was one of those rare days that I didn’t mind relinquishing a good portion of my “day off.” I felt like I was greatly blessed to part of a much bigger moment and was thankful to have made such a small sacrifice in order to celebrate a life well lived! Why not take a moment right now and thank the Lord for the people in your life who have also embodied these values to you.
Blessings,
Pastor Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment