In a recent moment with one of our promising young staff members, I was asked the rather direct question "Knowing what you know now, what did you do right or what would you do differently from 30 years ago?"
There's no way to fully answer that question in one short blog entry! There are tons of things that I know I could have done better and a few things that are extremely important that I regret that I didn't do.
However, one thing that I was able to say with a lot of passion and clarity was that the thirst for education, and by that I mean disciplined study and discipleship whether in an institutional or personal forum, was central to my developing as a person and as a pastor.
I think people sometimes dismiss education and training under the guise of "being free to follow the Holy Spirit." Though I am a strong advocate of this dimension of spiritual maturity, I do not think it is in conflict in any way with being appropriately trained, educated and discipled to enlarge the capacity of your heart to fulfill what the Spirit leads you to do!
With today's ever, almost ceaselessly, expanding list of resources, I still believe that this is something that every young person (that would be anyone under the age of 90) would do well to continue to pursue! I'm grateful for those who continue to influence my life in this realm and want to nudge all of you who take the time to read these thoughts to do the same.
Blessings!
Dr. Jay
I would just as enthusiastically encourage those over 30 to continue their education.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Grandma Moses