Wednesdays are typically the longest days of my week. We begin with all staff meetings first thing in the morning and I typically don't have a break for the next 12 1/2 hours until my small group ends that evening!
Last night I got home a little before 10:00 pm, having had a long series of meetings one after the other, most of which were strategic and important and some of which were rather difficult and depleting.
It's no surprise that this morning I woke up with what I would describe as an "energy deficit." God's wired our bodies to send us messages and sometimes even though we may feel the need to "press ahead," there are days that we simply can't do that because we've expended all of the emotional energy in our tanks and those need to be recharged.
I find that time alone with the Lord and also unhurried in it's structure seems to be the fastest and best way to renew the fuel needed to address life's next set of challenges, but I thank the Lord that He knows just how much we can tolerate before we go over the limit.
We're all wired differently and I suppose at different times we can exceed the speed limit for a season. However, anyone that does that for long knows that we're bound to "blow up our engine" because we're simply not made to function beyond our capacity. This is why scripture exhorts us so many times to rest, be still, step back and allow God to be our first priority. He then sets these things in order and enables us to take on those things which He deems to be most important.
I pray this lesson is something none of us have to learn the hard way!
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment