My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 14, 2009

4 Hours

For some, this may feel like “spitting into the wind” or even worse. However, after 20 years of leading this congregation, I still find it mystifying when 4 hours of totally unpredictable weather paralyzes most of our church family beyond description.

It would be one thing if this event affected the entire economy or all the businesses and so on , but the fact that this ice storm came through from about 7:30 am to 11:30 am, right in the heart of our prime worship time of the week, absolutely destroyed our attendance and the ability to come to worship and experience what God had planned. After all these years, I’m at peace with the fact that the Lord is in control and has the ability to start or stop any “natural disasters” as He chooses. However, the timing of something like this is simply beyond me.

It was only 2 hours after we dismissed our service at 12:15 (with 75% of the people not there!) that I was headed for the grocery store only to find it jammed with people who had already made their way out of their homes onto now wet, not icy, roads to pick up groceries and fulfill the rest of their day.

I suppose I’m just venting a bit but when one considers all that could of happened in those 4 hours it really is quite mystifying. The silver lining for me is the fact that 10 people gave their hearts to Christ yesterday morning. That’s quite astonishing given the adverse conditions they had to overcome just to get there, let alone the other distractions. 10 people changed forever. I suppose that’s reason enough to celebrate…but in my heart I could only imagine what would have happened had we had the normal 2,000 in attendance rather than the 500 who were able to make it.

Just 4 hours…but it couldn’t have come at a worse time. The great news is that we get to do it all over again in the coming weekend!

Blessings,

Pastor Jay

4 comments:

  1. I understand your feeling that way. I attempted to come to church, got stuck and had to go back - but I too was a little aggravated when everything was fine at 1pm. I kinda felt robbed of the best part of the day - and the week for that matter. However, I do praise God for the ten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday's strategically precise, mini natural disaster was one of three things;
    1. Satan moved the sun, the moon and the stars to hit NCF spiritually and financially.

    2. The Holy Spirit wanted JUST the right people in church to minister powerfully to those ten folks who surrendered their lives to Jesus.

    3. Weather happens. It wasn't a personal ice storm.

    But as you almost eluded to Pastor, the measure of urgency on the part of members to get to worship and fellowship (come hell or high water) was tested. And it scored a 25% on the scale.

    The main thing is, you were awestruck LOL. Which proves you are still childlike enough to make it into Heaven.

    Keep up the great work. You have a wonderful ministry that has touched countless lives. You are a great Ambassador for Jesus. Your life is a strong and fruitful testimony.
    I pray God will keep using you, to continue blessing many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. most churches in America have an average attendance of 75 people on a 'good' Sunday...so 500 sounds enormous rather than something to 'vent about.' Sorry but a little humility may be needed here. 10 people came to the Lord... REJOICE

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to the comment about humility, it took a great deal of humility to allow that comment to be posted for everyone to see. However, I see only pride when someone has no problem correcting their spiritual oversight. Pastors are human, and should be able to vent about anything that bothers them - just like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete