My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm Not Hip

Over the past week or so I’ve been traveling some and in my adventures have happened across some of the more “hip” areas of the country.

I suppose it’s fair to say at this stage of my life that I’m no longer “hip”. What a heartbreak.

It’s interesting to watch people who think they are “hip” because of the obvious self-absorption with which they are preoccupied. Being hip requires you to constantly come up with a response or a comment that shows you’re just a little bit more “in the know” than they are.

For me, I think I’ll stick with “authentic”. I’ll just be content with who I am and do my best to represent myself, my very soul, in all my interactions. My kids will be sure that I don’t dress like a dork, but in terms of relationships I’ll always choose “authentic” over “hip”.

In my view, one is fleeting and can never be held and the other is always in demand.

Blessings,

Dr. Jay

2 comments:

  1. i think it's funny that you used the word dork! i don't think i've ever been hip...it used to bother me. Now that I'm a dad of 3 daugthers...I'm doomed for dork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Gregg Hill

    As a trumpet-playing teenager in the 70’s I was big time in to bands that featured a horn section…Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears…etc. There was a great “funk” bank from Oakland (California, not Pittsburgh) called Tower of Power. Their signature song was “What is Hip?”
    Here are some of the lyrics:

    Seen in all the right places.
    Seen with just the right faces.
    You should be satisfied, but it ain't quite right.
    { refrain #1 }
    Come on!
    (refrain #2)
    Hipness is. What it is!
    Hipness is. What it is!
    Hipness is. What it is!
    Sometimes hipness is, what it ain't.
    (end refrain #2)
    { guitar solo }
    You went an' found you a guru.
    In an effort to find you a new you,
    And maybe even raise your conscious level.

    While you're striving to find the right road,
    There's one thing you should know,
    "What's hip today, might become passe'."
    { refrain #1 }
    { Trumpet solo }
    Think about it y'all.
    { keyboard solo }
    { refrain #2 }
    What is hip?
    Ahhhhhhhhh!
    What is hip?
    I'd like to know!
    What is hip?
    Is it in the style of your hair?
    What is hip?
    Is it in the clothes that you wear?
    What is hip?
    I'd like to know.
    What is hip?

    ReplyDelete