Recently, my next door neighbor called with a request. He wanted to make some
changes to his property that would enhance his personal space, but potentially make
ours a lot more "open" to the activity and noise etc.
My first response (happily) was to think, "sure, go ahead and I wish you the best".
But upon further review, I began to consider all of the ways this might affect us in
the future, both personally and if/when we ever tried to sell our property. After all
who wants others to be "entertaining" in plain view of "their space".
All of this sounds a little silly as I write it. However, isn't that how we're wired? We want what's best for others, as long as it doesn't mess with what's best for us. I wonder what Jesus would say about that.
Even more, how do I as I Christian express my selfish concerns without compromising
my testimony? Maybe you don't struggle with such things, but I still do and wish I could find a better way.
Changes will happen all the time. Count on it. I'm still looking for the best way to accept or resist the ones that I don't like, as long as I can honor Jesus in the middle of it all.
Blessings,
Dr.Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment