My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why I Believe In Prayer...

You really don't think I can answer that question in one short blog, do you?!

However, just recently I experienced what can only be explained because of prayer. It is one of scores, maybe hundreds of such events over my time of walking with Jesus.

This one was "personal" so I'll be a little vague about the “who.” A neighbor had every intention of making extensive upgrades to his outdoor space in the rear of his patio home. Our home is "family owned", so I was trying to think in terms of what was best for all my family for years to come. This was no small issue and the neighbor, though very pleasant, was determined to make this happen.

The cost to us would have been the "peace and quiet" we've come to enjoy, even cherish. His view was that he wanted to be outdoors as much as possible. The two just don't work well together.

I'll leave out the details, but I came to the point of conceding that what we wanted was not going to be supported by the HOA and I went to a meeting to share our acceptance of a revised plan.

As soon I said: "We have been thinking and praying about this…" one of the HOA members said: "Stop right there." Thinking I had offended him by mentioning prayer (we all do that!), I was ready for the worst. Instead he said: "We think the project is dead. The neighbor appears to be looking into a different location."

I was stunned for a moment. I knew that "only God" could change this situation and…He had! (This was six months of trying..!)

Take heart, dear friend. Jesus answers prayer, if we don't stop praying but we do stop trying to make things happen our way.

Blessings,

Dr. Jay

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I have that deceitful thought that well, why should I pray? The Lord will do his will anyway and he already knows what is going on but... the Bible says to pray and though I do not always comprehend how "little old me" praying can make a difference, it just does. In these times of financial hardship we need to be thankful for what we have, help others in whatever way we can and also pray for those in need. We in this country have so much more than much of the rest of the world yet we never seem to be content with what we have. We live like kings and queens compared to some. I know I need to step back and really take inventory of what I have been given and to not just be always crying for more.

    ReplyDelete