My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Special Day

When I awakened this morning the sun was shining brightly despite the ominous weather forecast of the night before.

That immediately helped to launch me into a very special birthday celebration that will last well into the evening!

There’s a certain beauty of having a day when people go out of their way to let you know that you’re appreciated, celebrated and loved. It’s not that we all can’t use a little of that every day of our lives, but knowing that on your birthday people are going to go out of their way to do so is pretty awesome!

My only other reflection is just how incredibly faithful God has been to me throughout my journey of life and how I yearn for others to know Him in that same way.

It will take me a week to burn off the extra calories I took on today, but I’ll enjoy every one of them!

From a blessed heart,

Dr. Jay

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Jay,
    Happy Birthday! Yes, you and Northway are appreciated and loved and I would like to share a little story about that. I am a Pittsburgh Police Officer and attended Northway's service on Good Friday. I didn't feel like going, I was struggling with faith and feeling SO broken after our departments tradegy. When I do attend Northway with one of my friends, she likes to sit up front, which I typically don't mind. On this particular day as we walked through the center doors, I asked, "can we just sit here?' a few rows in front of the media booth, and she agreed. As we sat there before worship started I was wondering "where is God? How could he let this happen?" The band then came on the stage and the first song they played was Amazing Grace. I instantly thought that the last time I heard that played was by the bagpipers at the officer's memorial service. And in doubt of God's grace and reflecting upon that tradegy, I wondered "what is so amazing about this grace?" As the service progressed, I sat there contemplating how God works and why, if he is a good and loving God how could He have let this happen. I sat there discouraged and despaired, still hearing the shots fired and still hearing Officer Mayhle's little girl screaming "But I want my Daddy." Then came the call to write down our sins and take them to the cross. I did that and as I returned to my seat, the Gentleman in the red sweater that was sitting behind me (all the while singing and praising the Lord)reached out his hand and touched my shoulder and said to me, "God has put it in my heart to pray for you but I'm not sure why." Tears immediately welled up in my eyes. I told him that I was a police officer and just hugged him. He offered words of comfort. After the service was over, he and his wife asked if my friend (who is a retired state trooper)and I would pray with them. We all hugged and his words were so powerful and so healing.

    I walked into Northway that day in doubt. I walked out of Northway that day thinking that God does work in very mysterious ways, God does care and God does love me. That God must have needed a few more guardians for Heaven's gates. Of all the seats that I could have sat in, I felt compelled to choose that one. Of all the people who could have sat behind me, it was the man in the red sweater. Of all the things I could have written on the piece of paper, I chose to write "unforgiveness." Pastor Jay, that was my "SPECIAL DAY." You are appreciated, celebrated and loved for Northway. Birthdays, although they are special days, we tend to forget from year to year. I can assure you that Good Friday at Northway this year will always remain in my heart, and will always be a reminder that God's love is there, just when you need it most. Even if it does come from a total stranger wearing a red sweater. Thank you Northway for my "Special Day."
    MCW

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    From Financial Teacher

    ReplyDelete