In the ten days that I’ve been back here in Pittsburgh from my brief summer study break, I’ve literally been overwhelmed with the number of interactions, circumstances, decisions and crises that seem to be part of the “new normal”.
It’s not that things are going poorly; in fact they are going very well! It is, however, true that people are under extreme pressure and therefore that gets carried over into many of our pastoral encounters.
What I’ve found is that making time to listen to the Lord in the early mornings or the late nights is essential for me. It helps me to know where I can draw the line and say “no” or help people to find assistance in some direction other than directly from me.
Knowing our boundaries is crucial in this era of hi-tech, highly interactive networks in which we find ourselves. I’m grateful for priorities but I also recognize that it takes a disciplined heart to keep those priorities in order! I’m thankful for a day off!
Blessings,
Pastor Jay
P.S. In my message yesterday I mentioned 3 simple axioms in order to stay in touch with what the Lord is saying to you personally. They were: Divert Daily, Withdraw Weekly and Abandon Annually. (from Pastor Rick Warren of Saddleback Church).
No comments:
Post a Comment