My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Is He Serious?

As those of you who regularly read my blog know, Oswald Chambers has been my devotional companion for the past 35 years. His insights, though written nearly 80 years ago, remain deeply penetrating in the farthest reaches of my soul.

In today's reading, which is here http://www.myutmost.org/02/0215.html, he raises a challenging issue. He asks the question "How many of us are willing to spend every ounce of nervous energy, of mental, moral and spiritual energy we have for Jesus Christ? That is the meaning of a witness in God's sense of the word." I've contemplated that each year I read this particular day's devotion. I recognize that though it seems "impossible" in the human sense, how does that differ from a more generic prayer that many of us have considered like "Lord, I give you my life" or the words of Jesus when He says "Whoever loses his life for my sake will gain it for eternity?"

The reality is that this is the kind of surrender that brings us to a place of profound personal devotion with our Lord and an incredible sense of meaning in our daily walk with Him.

Yes, it's incredibly challenging and perhaps "impossible" to the human mind, but let's remember that all this is by grace and happens as we simply yield, moment by moment, to the empowering inner voice of His Holy Spirit

Blessings,
Dr. Jay

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Questions Dr.Jay. I believe while they both have similar results, the fact is that one thing is to say "Father I give you my all", and another to actually, use time and energy dedicated to HIS ministries. As you have preached before God calls us to be Fishers of Men. Having said that I do strongly believe that our Father gives us strength and wisdom to those who seek him. I know I could not do all that I can except that God has given me wisdom and strength, and a good old fashion kick in the behind, when I've need it, through his teachings and teachers.

    ReplyDelete