Just near my home, there's a small sign on the side of the road next to a "Wellness Center" that reads "Health is not valued until sickness comes."
I've seen that sign for the last several weeks but did not realize the profound accuracy of the truth that this poignant reminder has brought to life.
Over recent weeks I've been dealing with a lingering virus that has caused me multiple levels of discomfort and difficulty; something that I've never had in my life time with the exception of one surgery a long time ago.
But it's not just my health that I've taken for granted. I thought of the blessing of God, the gift of children who love me and a wife that serves alongside of me in the Kingdom of God, the wealth of significant relationships that I enjoy and on and on.
All this led me to I Thessalonians 5:11-18 which culminates in the exhortation to "rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances." The last part is what caught my attention. "Give thanks in all circumstances" is the best way I know to defeat the spirit of taking things for granted and be reminded that every single gift that we have, every breath we take, all the health, provision and blessing we enjoy comes because of a good, loving and caring God who never has us out of His mind.
And so if it's been a while since you've given thanks even for the very common blessings of your life, why not pause right now and spend 5 minutes just telling the Lord how grateful you are for such wonderful gifts.
Always growing,
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment