My comments may be a stretch for some of you today. I’ll accept that from the beginning of today’s blog.
I’m not a big NASCAR fan, but I do watch a few races a year and I marvel at the speeds that these cars reach (sometimes over 200 miles per hour!) in a tightly closed grouping of 20-40 cars at a time. It’s almost unthinkable to me!
On Sunday, February 20, Trevor Bayne shocked the automotive racing world when, on the day after his 20th birthday, he won the “Super Bowl” of NASCAR which is the Daytona 500 held in Daytona Beach, Florida. It was only Trevor’s 2nd NASCAR race at his level and he became the youngest Daytona 500 champion ever, which puts him in very elite company in that particular part of the motorsport world. Trevor’s post race comments gave much glory to God and acknowledgment of prayer (which I always find refreshing), but he also acknowledged the wisdom of the veteran team of men who had built his machine, coached and mentored him in his racing skills and believed in him as a “rookie” who had unusual giftedness as a race car driver.
It’s the combination of those things, the wisdom of the mature and seasoned veterans with the giftedness, energy and passion of the younger generation that makes for the possibility of the unlikely to happen. It’s that same thing that I see in Scriptures with Paul, the “veteran leader” and Timothy, his “favorite son” who he believed in and exhorted on in the things of God.
Wise leaders identify young, gifted leaders and engage them early on. If they receive that invitation with humility and ‘teachableness’, occasionally incredible things happen, which creates the possibility of even more dreams and vision coming to pass.
NASCAR is certainly far from being a good spiritual metaphor; however, that relationship of wisdom and youthful passion/giftedness combined together is clearly to be desired and cultivated in every discipline of life.
Blessings!
Pastor Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment