This past weekend was a rather difficult time for all of us who have any significant interest in our nation’s economy or our personal financial well being. (I expect that might be everyone.)
None-the-less, I had a moment when a lot of this was put in perspective for me on Saturday morning. In the midst of all the financial news that was buzzing around about a “potential bail-out” I joined with about 20-25 people from North Way and 15 or so people from the Helen Faison School in Homewood, a part of the “inner city” of Pittsburgh.
We’ve been investing in the lives of elementary and middle school age kids there for a little over two years now. These are kids who don’t have any interest in the economic news and wouldn’t know an equity from a mortgage.
However, they do know what it means to be cared for and hungry for love. The most moving moment of my two hour experience was when a 7th grader, with his hat tipped sideways and his jeans sagging down over his basketball sneakers said in front of the whole crowd, “You all please keep coming to Homewood, cuz you’re changing Homewood and we’re glad you’re here.”.
For just a moment I saw the power of God’s love to bridge racial, domestic and even stereotypical issues that paralyze our society. For that moment, the economy didn’t really matter because I saw a snapshot of lives being changed and a reminder that there are some things, really important things, that transcend economic matters.
Let’s keep that in mind as we walk through these uncertain days.
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment