My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, click here.
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Growing in Compassion

As I've mentioned a couple of times over the past several weeks, I've been struggling with a virus that has affected my upper respiratory system and particularly my hearing.

Even though there is no resolution to this problem as of yet, there has been a significant learning on my part.

If you're like me, we tend to go through life doing most of our days in what I would call a "normal" frame of mind with few, if any, physical issues and if we're blessed, relational or spiritual ones.

This tends to create a sense of indifference toward those who do struggle with these things every day of their lives.

Hearing was one of those things for me. Though I have a number of people in my life that have a hearing impairment to some degree or another, I have to admit that I was often times less than compassionate toward them and when communication was broken because of a hearing issue I generally saw it as "their fault."

These past weeks have changed all that for me. I understand, now, more than ever how isolating a hearing limitation can be. People can be speaking in perfectly normal tones and you simply don't understand them. What's more, your own communication is somewhat garbled because even that isn't clearly "heard" in your inner ear.

I think it's true of every dimension of our lives. Unless we've been through it or have experienced it, we tend to be indifferent toward the challenges that others face. Therefore, I am seeking to move into that dimension that James talks about which is to "Count it all joy, my brother, when every manner of trial comes upon you." James 1:2

My joy is that I have come to discover just how much I need to grow in my compassion toward others and if it has taken this affliction to bring it to pass, I'm grateful for the growth in my character that has resulted.

Blessings!
Dr. Jay

5 comments:

  1. praying for you, Pastor Jay. And thanks for the lesson, very appropriate for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Thank you for your comment. Lately, I've been feeling that most people have very little compassion today. I am trying to instill this virtue in my three children every, single day. When given the opportunity whether its something they see on TV, or if we are out and about, we talk about it. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true as well.I'm only 46 and have developed a sense of hearing loss myself.So frustrating to everyone around me.I worry about the future and not being to clearly hear the word of God being preached...Makes you feel a heartache for those with good hearing that have never heard or are indifferent to hearing God's word while they still can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your character strength and fortitude are such a blessing to your congregation and an inspiration to those who suffer with health issues on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor Jay, Thank you for bring this hearing loss to the surface. I have had a hearing loss since birth and have had to suffer in more ways then one. So have others who have known me by having to repeat everything to me. Even my 6 year old gets frustrated with me. This is my handicapp as someone that has another disibilty. We miss many punch lines when people lower there voice when talking. We miss learning opportunites because we cannot hear everything. I am not complaining I am just letting you and others know our problems. I hope your hearing will be restored to you.

    ReplyDelete