Today, millions of Christians around the world will begin the observation of the Lenten season. Doubtless you will see videos or pictures of people, many of these of the Catholic or Anglican faith, with an ash mark on their forehead indicating that they are somehow participating in the 40 days that lead up to Easter Sunday.
This long standing tradition is designed to be a time of reflection, contemplation and consecration of oneself to the call to the life of the cross.
I know that in my background I was not so much into the imagery, but I was into the reality of spending time during Lent, often accompanied with a fast of some kind, to reflect on my own spiritual journey. Let's be honest, very few things come along in our "regular schedule" that jolt us enough to do some serious reflection on our spiritual condition.
Can it be just another ritual with no meaning? Of course. However, I would recommend that every true Christ follower consider doing something out of the ordinary, whether it's a form of spiritual discipline, prayer, fasting, relilnquishing the electronic addictions of our life or whatever it might be to allow the Holy Spirit to have our full attention.
The beautiful part of all this is that we end the Lenten journey with a wonderful reflection of what Jesus did for us on the cross and the amazing proof of the efficacy of that sacrifice on Resurrection Sunday, which falls on April 24 this year!
For me, I want Lent to mean something this year and I trust you will as well.
Blessings,
Dr. Jay
I'm giving up my SNOOZE ALARM! I set the alarm early with good intentions of waking-up to have my quiet/devotional time before the day really starts, but as of late, I've been queen of the snooze button and before I know it, I have to get up and kids the kids moving and that all falls by the way-side. Anyway, I hoping this silly sort of sacrifice helps draw me closer to my God! :-)
ReplyDeleteI think it is a commonly recognized event in which many participate but, perhaps as also is "common" is a disconnect or lack of reflection as to why.
ReplyDeleteIt does represent an opportunity to consciously set aside something for the specific goal to be mindful of what Jesus set aside...His rightful place as God and Son..and paid the ultimate price. It cost everything. And, for the likes of me.. or you? Or us? Again, why? As we scarcely know how to give without keeping some sort of tally of what it cost or applaud myself for my goodness.
For me, it matters not if it is Lent or even a "Nazarite vow"...it is not WHAT we choose to give up.. the point is WHY? And my growing understanding as to why..is that the Creator of all- not only gave everything that we may know Him..but, that we may know Him WELL.. and as closely and intimately as our next breath and heartbeat. And, so if me setting aside something in such a way that causes me to pause and really invite Him to every part of my life.. then, Lent it is!